Into the woods

I did a drawing I was pleased with, because of the trees, textures and path. It was pencil, but when I took a photo of it in less than perfect light conditions, it turned sepia, which suited it, I thought.

IMG_0727

I’m now trying to turn it into a print, drawing it again, simplifying and changing it a bit, ready to be cut, possibly as another black and white print using both wood-cutting tools for removing the large areas of light and wood engraving tools to make patterned textures and greys/mid tones. I’m not experienced in doing this, so it’s exciting, but could be a disaster.

FullSizeRender

I’m using vinyl flooring again. It’s a surprise how well wood engraving-type cutting prints on this stuff. You’d think fine lines would fill in, but they didn’t on the last plate I made using this method http://wp.me/p4W8Uu-a0

This is how the latest one turned out, after a long time removing the sky to show the trees with lino cutting tools and using the same plus wood-engraving tools on the foreground.

image

 

I was pleased with the print, but wondered how it would look if I made a second plate with more trees on it. I printed it first in a light grey, then printed the main trees on top. I spent a long time fiddling with the tones, and trying to stop the light grey trees showing through. Where they crossed the black trees there was a kind of ghost image, but I don’t think it matters – it looks a bit like shadows.

FullSizeRender

New tree

There’s an amazing tree on a lane where I live in Devon. It arches over the road and fills the sky. I wanted to portray it, but not on its own as I usually do, so I’ve put it in its landscape.

I drew straight on to the plate, which is a piece of smooth vinyl flooring, using soft pencils and a little white pen for highlights. The image below is in black and white – the plate is actually blue, as you’ll see if you scroll down.

IMG_0765

I thought I’d cut the tree out as a silhouette, then if the rest of it went wrong, I could perhaps trim the plate and save the tree to print on its own.

I also thought I’d try using some wood engraving tools alongside the usual wood-cutting ones, so I could add texture and some greys on the fields and hedge, so it would work as a black and white print, but I might also add colour somehow at a later stage.

Anyway, the cutting has taken a week – pretty quick for me.

From this:

IMG_0766

To this:

IMG_0769

I wasn’t convinced the fine texture on the fields created with the wood engraving tool, would actually print, as it could hold too much ink and just turn out blobby. The pic above doesn’t show the final version, as I also cut texture into the road and the hedge.

After lots of fiddling and problems, the print looks like this:

IMG_0772

Still more fiddling to do, e.g. on tree and a bit on the hedge and fields, but I’m pleased, as it’s exciting to have some success with the wood engraving tools adding texture and greys.

Reduction linocut

Having done a drawing I was reasonably pleased with, I’m in the process of developing it into a linocut, which is tricky as it’s my first attempt to represent trees in this way, i.e. not winter skeletons, but full-blown leafy summer trees with their puzzling patterns of light and shade.

Devon fields

I’ve scanned it, reversed it, printed it out and copied it on to a piece of lino – actually not lino, but vinyl flooring which I prefer. I’ve just traced the outlines on to the plate at this stage, as I only need to know where the edges of things are and the drawing will probably rub off in the printing process.

IMG_0691

Now I have to work out how many colours I can use and what they’re going to be, or, rather, what I’m hoping they’ll be, as there’s only so far you can control them in this method.

I printed a warm light grey as the first colour (it’s actually lighter than in the pic), then cut away the sky. Next I printed a blonde brown cornfield-like colour on top and cut away some of the fields. Then I printed a light green, leaving me at the stage shown in the pic below.

IMG_0694_2

Next I cut away the remaining field shapes and the lightest tones in the trees and hedges, giving me roughly…….

IMG_0693_2_2

 

And then I cut away the next lightest tones in the trees and hedges, a bit randomly, then I mixed a bluey-purple colour with lots of extender, so very light, to give a darker green layer. That ended up like this…

DSCF9064_2

Then I cut away again and inked the plate with a cold blue, and thought I was finished, but decided the final shadows weren’t dark enough, so cut away almost everything, leaving just little shapes in the parts where deepest shade should be, I hoped, and inked again with a cold blue and got:

DSCF9053_2

I wished I’d left the final shapes slightly larger, as I thought these last spots of dark green were good and in retrospect I would have liked more of them in the foreground, but it was too late. That’s the thing about reduction ….. you can’t go back. Next time I’d have more contrast in the trees and maybe some detail in the fields.